Departure of Resident Journalists
2009/02/20 13:00

Before its resident journalist leaving his post, the permanent office of the foreign media organization should notify the IPC or local FAOs of the departure, have his Press Card (R) cancelled and ensure him to have paid all taxes, rents and other due expenses. Failure of completing all the related procedures of outgoing resident foreign journalist will impede the registration of his successor.

After the resident foreign journalist leaves his post and completes the Press Card (R) cancellation procedures, his J-1 resident permit will automatically becomes invalid 10 days after the cancellation of the Press Card (R). He should apply for J-2 visa in case of conducting short-term news coverage in China in the future.

If the resident foreign journalist intends to continue to stay in China after leaving his post, in accordance with the Implementation Rules of the Law of the People's Republic of China on Control of the Entry and Exit of Aliens, he shall present the relevant certifying documents to the exit and entry administration department of local public security bureau to apply for the alteration of his visa or the resident permit within 10 days from the date of the cancellation of his Press Card (R).

Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America
3505 International Place, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008 U.S.A.
Tel: +1-202-495-2266
Fax: +1-202-495-2138

Visa Office
Address: 2201 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W. Suite 110, Washington, D.C. 20007
Tel: +1 202-855-1555 (12:30-16:30, Monday to Friday, except for holidays)
Fax: +1 202-525-2056
Email for Passport and Travel Document Application:
Email for Authentication Application:
Email for Visa Application: