Q&A on the Airline Boarding Requirement for Certificate of Negative Result of Nucleic Acid Tests for Covid-19
2020/09/11 21:00

With regard to the Notice on Mandatory COVID-19 Negative Certificates for China-bound Passengers Before Boarding, the following Q&A are for your reference:

1. Have the Chinese Embassy and Consulates General designated any lab or institutes to take the test?

· At the moment, the Chinese Embassy and Consulates General have not designated any lab or institutes to take the test. Test result certificates issued by eligible medical or testing institutions are currently accepted.

2. What kind of test is required? Is there any requirement on the content or formality of the test certificate?

· At present, only the negative report of COVID-19 nucleic acid RT-PCR Test is accepted. The results of antibody test, serology test or antigen test are not accepted.

· Please make sure that your test certificate includes your name, DOB, type of test, result of test, report date, name and the contact information of the test agency.

3. Is fast test accepted?

· The validity of the test certificate is not based on the speed or method of test.  

· PCR test usually needs to be conducted in a lab, while those which promise same-day results are mostly antibody or antigen tests.

4. How can I tell the expiration date of the test result?

· For instance, if you take a flight from New York to Shanghai via Paris, the report should be issued within 3 days before the departure date of the flight from Paris to Shanghai. If the flight from Paris to Shanghai is on September 19, the issuance/report date of your test certificate should be between September 16 and 19.

· The approved Health Declaration Form will show that your Form will be valid through September 19. You can use this form to board before 23:59 of September 19 local time, in this case Paris local time.

5. Do children need to be tested?

· A child under 3 years old does not need to take the test or apply for the approved Health Declaration Form if he or she is to fly to China on a direct flight from the U.S. and his or her accompanying parent(s) meet(s) the requirement of boarding.

· If the child flies to China via a third country or region, please make inquiries with the airlines for requirement of the country or region he or she will transit through. If there is no exemption, the child needs to do the test in the U.S. before departure.

6. Do I still need a visa?

· These measures are different from visa requirements. You will still need to have a visa to go to China.

7. How long does it take for the Chinese Embassy and Consulates General to certify a Health Declaration Form?

· Normally, the Chinese Embassy and Consulates General will verify and send the approved Health Declaration Form back to you within 24 hours.

· You are advised to apply for the certified Health Declaration Form at least one working day before the departure date.

8. If my flight is delayed to the second day, is my Health Declaration Form still valid?

· In this case, if your Form is valid through the scheduled flight time, the airline will allow you to board.

9. Do I need to bring a printout of the test result?

· You are advised to bring the nucleic acid test certificate to the airport in case of further inspection.

10. Do I need to be quarantined when I arrive in China if I have a nucleic acid test report with negative result?

· A certificate of negative result of COVID-19 nucleic acid test (PCR) is the requirement only for boarding. For quarantine requirements, please visit the website of the government of the entry city or province of China for further details.

11. How about transiting in the U.S. en route to China?

· In this case, you will be checked with your Health Declaration Form before boarding in the U.S.. Please apply for the approved Health Declaration Form in advance from the Chinese Embassy or Consulates General in the country of your departure.


Embassy of the People's Republic of China in the United States of America
3505 International Place, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20008 U.S.A.
Tel: +1-202-495-2266
Fax: +1-202-495-2138
E-mail: chinaembpress_us@mfa.gov.cn

Visa Office
Address: 2201 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W. Suite 110, Washington, D.C. 20007
Tel: +1 202-855-1555 (12:30-16:30, Monday to Friday, except for holidays)
Fax: +1 202-525-2056
Email for Passport and Travel Document Application: washington_hz@csm.mfa.gov.cn
Email for Authentication Application: washington_gzrz@csm.mfa.gov.cn
Email for Visa Application: washington_visa@csm.mfa.gov.cn